On 24th-25th October 2011 Warsaw hosted an international conference Effective Instruments Supporting Territorial Development (EIC2011) organized by Polish Ministry of Regional Development together with the European Commission. The conference was one of the major events within the Polish Presidency to the Council of European Union.
The main objective of the conference was to exchange views and opinions between practitioners dealing with the issues of cohesion policy (CP) in the context of the territorial dimension of CP and its development instruments in the area of programming and implementation. The ongoing discussion on possible changes in the cohesion policy after 2013 has been therefore enriched by practical observations resulting from the experience from implementation of EU policy instruments in the current EU financial perspective.
The discussion during the Conference will contribute to the preparation of recommendations for improving the currently functioning and the design of new instruments that can be used in designing integrated and territorially sensitive development of the EU model.
Conclusions and recommendations arising from discussions at the conference will represent a significant contribution as the basis for discussion at meetings of directors general, and ministers responsible for urban development, cohesion policy and territorial cohesion (November 2011).
The conference paid particular attention to the following major themes:
- Effective solutions for the development of urban areas
- Delivering Europe (EU) 2020 Strategy objectives in urban areas
- Instruments for delivering urban actions in the future cohesion policy
- Functional areas as a springboard to reinforcing territorial development policies
- Urban-rural linkages. Mechanisms supporting diffusion of growth to all types of territories
- Local development - best practice and future policy options
Below you can find Key messages of the Conference as well as a detailed summary of both days, together with summary prepared by Professor Fabrizio Barca.